Indy loves the consistency of risotto even though she won’t currently eat regular or even sticky rice. Maybe it’s the cheese, or the fact that it sticks to the spoon so that she can easily get it into her own mouth. Either way, her love for the texture means that she is also more adventurous with taste than she would be normally – and this extends to green vegetables. The deliciousness of this risotto, and its delicate taste, encourages little ones to embrace the green!
5 vegetable green risotto
Serves: 2 adults and 2 little ones
Prep time: 30mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Stage-appropriate: From 6 months – you can always start with less parmesan
Freezer friendly: No
For the green paste:
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g spinach
- 20g pack fresh mint
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
For the risotto
- 1450 ml stock (vegetable or chicken stock is fine. You can also use low salt stock for young babies)
- A pack of asparagus, around 6 spears, chopped small
- A handful of chopped spring onion
- 250g Arborio Risotto Rice
- 150ml white wine
- 75g Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated
- To make the paste: Cook the peas in boiling water for 2 minutes. Wilt and drain the spinach and add into a food processor with the mint and crème fraîche. Blend until smooth and put aside.
- Start your risotto by frying up the spring onion and chopped asparagus in a little olive oil.
- Add the rice and the wine and cook for around 3 – 5 minutes.
- Now start to add your stock, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring every so often but not constantly. Continue to add the stock ladle by ladle, stirring, until the rice is creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese, the butter and stir through your green sauce.
Optional leftovers dinner
It’s a great idea to use any leftover risotto for arancini and this is no exception.
- Simply roll up balls of rice and set aside
- On three plates lay out: flour, beaten egg, breadcrumbs
- Roll the balls in the flour, the egg and then the breadcrumbs
- Shallow fry in a little vegetable oil for 6 – 10 mins until brown on all sides and leave to cool.